VEA > Question 1 Let A be a non-empty subset of M. For x € M, set d(x, A) = inf d(x,y)= da(x) and call this the distance

Business, Finance, Economics, Accounting, Operations Management, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Algebra, Precalculus, Statistics and Probabilty, Advanced Math, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Nursing, Psychology, Certifications, Tests, Prep, and more.
answerhappygod
Site Admin

VEA > Question 1 Let A be a non-empty subset of M. For x € M, set d(x, A) = inf d(x,y)= da(x) and call this the distance

Post by answerhappygod »

Vea Question 1 Let A Be A Non Empty Subset Of M For X M Set D X A Inf D X Y Da X And Call This The Distance 1
Vea Question 1 Let A Be A Non Empty Subset Of M For X M Set D X A Inf D X Y Da X And Call This The Distance 1 (48.34 KiB) Viewed 112 times
VEA > Question 1 Let A be a non-empty subset of M. For x € M, set d(x, A) = inf d(x,y)= da(x) and call this the distance from r to A. (a) Let € M. Show that I ead?, A) = 0. (b) Let e > 0 and set B(A, €) = {r € M: d(3, A) < £}. Show that A = n B(A.€). (c) Let A and B be two nonempty subsets of M such that dA= db. Using the fact that ds = dġ for all nonempty subsets S of M, show that Ā= B. (15, 15, 10 Marks) Question 2 Let f: R+ + R denote a map that is increasing and satisfies f(0) = 0. Suppose moreover that is sub-additive, i.e. f satisfies f(u + v) < $(u) + f(v), Wu,ve Rt. Then the distance function d' = f(d) is also a metric on M. Here one has d'(x, y) = f(d(x,y)], for all x, y e M. (a) Show that the map /: R+ +R: f(x) = min {1, x} is sub-additive. (b) Show that D= min{1,d} defines a metric on M. [ 15, 10 Marks) Question 3 Recall that the metric space (M. d) is separated, in the sense that for all my e M there are two open sets U and V such that I EU, YEV, and U NV = . Let : E M and B a nonempty subset of M such that 2 € B. (a) Can one find two open sets U and V such that X EU, B CV and UV = 0? Explain. (b) Suppose now that r¢ B an set : = d(x,B) := infyeBd(x,y). Show that U = B(x, ) and V = Uyes Bly, ) are two open sets separating r and B. That is, I EU, BCV, and UNV = 0. [ 10, 25 Marks]
Join a community of subject matter experts. Register for FREE to view solutions, replies, and use search function. Request answer by replying!