Probability Let random variables X1 and Y be jointly distributed with distribution p(x,y). You can assume that they are

Business, Finance, Economics, Accounting, Operations Management, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Algebra, Precalculus, Statistics and Probabilty, Advanced Math, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Nursing, Psychology, Certifications, Tests, Prep, and more.
answerhappygod
Site Admin

Probability Let random variables X1 and Y be jointly distributed with distribution p(x,y). You can assume that they are

Post by answerhappygod »

Probability Let Random Variables X1 And Y Be Jointly Distributed With Distribution P X Y You Can Assume That They Are 1
Probability Let Random Variables X1 And Y Be Jointly Distributed With Distribution P X Y You Can Assume That They Are 1 (86.94 KiB) Viewed 75 times
Probability Let random variables X1 and Y be jointly distributed with distribution p(x,y). You can assume that they are jointly discrete so that p(x,y) is the probability mass function (pmf). Show the following results by using the fundamental properties of probability and random variables. = (a) E[X] E[E[X|Y]], where E[X] = {zxp(x) denotes statistical expectation of X and E[X|Y] = {x xp(|Y) denotes conditional expectation of X given Y. (b) E[I[X E C]] = P(X EC), where I[X E C) is the indicator function of an arbitrary set C (i.e. I[X E C] = 1 if X EC and 0 otherwise. (c) If X and Y are independent then E[XY] = E[X]E[Y] (d) If X and Y take values in {0, 1} and E[XY] = E[X]E[Y], then X and Y are independent.
Join a community of subject matter experts. Register for FREE to view solutions, replies, and use search function. Request answer by replying!