Maggie is a psychiatric mental health nurse who is working the night shift in the emergency department when a young moth

Business, Finance, Economics, Accounting, Operations Management, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Algebra, Precalculus, Statistics and Probabilty, Advanced Math, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Nursing, Psychology, Certifications, Tests, Prep, and more.
answerhappygod
Site Admin

Maggie is a psychiatric mental health nurse who is working the night shift in the emergency department when a young moth

Post by answerhappygod »

Maggie is a psychiatric mental health nurse who is working the night shift in the emergency department when a young mother, Ms. P, is admitted for suicide ideation and substance withdrawal. During intake, Ms. P shakes violently and is sweating. She admits to some suicide ideation but says that she does not believe she would go through with it “… because of my sweet babies. I have a girl, 6, and a boy, 4. The thought of abandoning them stops me.”
Maggie further learns that Ms. P is homeless and has trouble keeping her children fed and in clean clothes. She has been using the services of a “moving shelter” program in her city, which transports homeless mothers and children to a different church or community center each night, where volunteers bring meals. When asked what is most important to her in treatment, Ms. P says, “I want help with getting outpatient drug rehab started. I want to start up in an outpatient program and get out quick. A (sort of) friend is keeping my kids, and they’re scared. This woman is unpredictable, and I don’t really know her that well. I’m afraid if I stay away too long, this woman will get tired of watching my kids, and they’ll go into foster care. I feel like I’ll die if my children are taken away from me.”
Question 1
Maggie finishes Ms. P’s intake and then tells a colleague, “I’d like her to stay here awhile. I’m pretty sure that she must have had some serious challenges in childhood that she needs to explore to help her see what’s led to her problems. I think we need to get to the source.”
Do you agree with Maggie’s approach? If so, how would you suggest she move forward? If you don’t agree, explain why.
Question 2
Maggie decides to become a nurse advocate for the many homeless patients she gets at her inner-city clinic. She tells you, “What these homeless patients need first and foremost is stabilization of vital signs, safety, food, shelter—all that. If we help people get what they need biologically, I believe the psychological problems would frequently take care of themselves.” She begins developing a grassroots movement among the staff and other nursing groups. She also starts sharing this philosophy with her patients, which many of them find very encouraging. You agree to a large extent with what she is saying, but with some limits.
What are some of the risks in adopting a biological model to the exclusion of all other theoretical perspectives?
Join a community of subject matter experts. Register for FREE to view solutions, replies, and use search function. Request answer by replying!