Question 5 [20 marks in total] Consider a one-period investment model where each investor chooses her position (holdings

Business, Finance, Economics, Accounting, Operations Management, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Algebra, Precalculus, Statistics and Probabilty, Advanced Math, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Nursing, Psychology, Certifications, Tests, Prep, and more.
answerhappygod
Site Admin

Question 5 [20 marks in total] Consider a one-period investment model where each investor chooses her position (holdings

Post by answerhappygod »

Question 5 20 Marks In Total Consider A One Period Investment Model Where Each Investor Chooses Her Position Holdings 1
Question 5 20 Marks In Total Consider A One Period Investment Model Where Each Investor Chooses Her Position Holdings 1 (257.3 KiB) Viewed 84 times
Question 5 [20 marks in total] Consider a one-period investment model where each investor chooses her position (holdings) at Date 0 and receives payouts at Date 1. There are m > 1 states at Date 1 and n > 1 securities currently available for trading at Date 0. Let A be the mxn matrix whose (i, j) entry is the price of Security j in State i of Date 1. The market is called complete if the rank of A is m. Now suppose that a new security is added with payout vector v, so the ith entry of the mx1 matrix v is the price of the new security in State i. The new security is called redundant if its payout can be replicated by a holding of the existing securities; in other words, the security is redundant if v is a linear combination of columns of A. 1. [5 marks] (SF) Give an example where a new security is NOT redundant. Pick your own m, n, A and v. 2. [5 marks] (Medium) Show that if the market is complete without the new security, then the new security is necessarily redundant. 3. [10 marks] (Medium) Now assume that the following three securities already exist in the market: Security B pays 1+r in every state, Security S pays yi in State i for each i, and Security C pays max{yi – K, 0} (the larger number between yi – K and 0) in State i for each i. Here r, yi, ..., Ym and K are known positive numbers. To avoid uninteresting situations, we assume that some yi are greater than K while some are smaller than K. The market may contain other securities but may not be complete. Now a new security P is introduced, which pays max{K – Yi,0} in State i for each i. Show that P is redundant: it can be replicated by some combination of B, S and C. The number of states m is large; for concreteness you may take m = 100 even though the result we want to derive holds for every m. If you find it helpful, you may assume that yı
Join a community of subject matter experts. Register for FREE to view solutions, replies, and use search function. Request answer by replying!