A patient has had emphysema (lung disease) for many years. When approached by the nurse, the patient states “I would b

Business, Finance, Economics, Accounting, Operations Management, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Algebra, Precalculus, Statistics and Probabilty, Advanced Math, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Nursing, Psychology, Certifications, Tests, Prep, and more.
answerhappygod
Site Admin

A patient has had emphysema (lung disease) for many years. When approached by the nurse, the patient states “I would b

Post by answerhappygod »

A patient has had emphysema (lung disease) for many years. When approached by the nurse,
the patient states “I would be better off dead.” The patient supports the family, and now because of
oxygen dependency the patient must quit work. The patient’s spouse will have to go to work. Which
action should the nurse take?

a. Develop a plan of care for the family.
b. Contact psychiatric services for a referral.
c. Assure the patient that things will work out.
d. Focus the plan of care solely on maximizing patient function.
ANS: A
Because of the effects of chronic illness, family dynamics often change. The nurse must view the
whole family as a patient under stress, planning care to help the family regain its maximal level of
functioning and well-being. Psychiatric services may be a part of that plan but do not represent the
entire plan. Offering false assurance is never acceptable. Focusing only on the patient will not help
the family adjust
Join a community of subject matter experts. Register for FREE to view solutions, replies, and use search function. Request answer by replying!